Pillgrimage

Life's A Pill - Just Swallow It!

 
About Me

Name: Josephine
Home: Segamat, Johore, Malaysia
About Me: One word... WEIRD!
See my complete profile
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
this blog's layout is currently under construction
A comment to Blake's Blog
Friday, December 02, 2005

Curfews.. Many of us have them and well.. by US, I do mean that I'm one of those who have or have had curfews. Not to say I don't have them now, but I guess it's just a formality for my dad to call me and find out what time I'll be back once it's past 11pm.. Yeah, my curfew in my teens was at 11pm. I used to hate being called home so early coz all my friends would get to hang out and have fun while I'd miss all of it.

There came a time where people stopped asking me out at night coz everytime they go out, it would be at around 10 and well, I had to be back an hour later.. So my friends got kinda fed-up with that. Like I said, I used to hate having a curfew and I just wouldn't listen to any reasoning my parents would give me. Later in life, I finally understood why parents give their children curfews and now, without being told, I come back by 11 or at the most, 11.30pm.

Now, Blake stated in his blog, I quote and unquote, "They (her parents) are not as restrictive as those parents that would impose rules such as, "Thou shall not touch my daughter" on the child's boyfriend, but trust me, her parents are kinda tight about her coming home late at night. Come on, we are not sex-crazed people! We're her friends who would protect her from sex-maniacs that would penetrate whenever there's an available hole and burn the victim to death, before dumping her body (or ash) into the river near the crime scene. Nope, we're definitely not those people.Anyway, I guess I have to cut the parents some slack. After all, she's their only daughter."

Well, ok.. Which parents aren't afraid of that happening to their kids? Their daughters especially since well, we are supposed to be the weaker sex.. But even though our parents take it to their responsibility of knowing who we hangout with, they won't trust anyone until proven innocent.. Many stories have made the front page news where a girl gets raped/killed or both by her own friends and in some cases, by her boyfriend. "Who can we trust?" parents always ask themselves. As long as men have properly functioning brothers, they are a threat to their daughters.

But there are other matters which force parents to give out curfews. For instance, a lying daughter. No matter how much you try to hide the truth from your parents, they will eventually find out. Now, put yourself in you parents' shoes. If you had a daughter who told you she was going out to tuition but someone catches her sneaking into the cyber cafe and she calls you saying she'll be out late coz she'll be studying at her friend's place and you know all about it, what would you do? Ok, so maybe one or two times is fine. Scold a little and it's done. But what if she does it all the time? Wouldn't you wanna give her a curfew? Parents don't need to see a guy to give a girl curfews.

Sometimes, curfews are essential for girls whose parents are well, loaded, so to speak. We often hear of rich kids getting kidnapped for ransom. If they are lucky, they live. If they aren't.. well, let's not go there. In this case, even guys can have curfews. But of course, this rarely happens to guys. Curfews I mean.. Not kidnapping. That can happen to anyone with money.. *touch wood*.. Even powerful parents keep their kids at home after certain hours. People could have a grudge against the parents and take it out on the children.

Gang fights happen at night coz well, certain type of people prey at night. You know, those who carry "parang" and have big tattoos on almost every part of their body? Yeah, well, they are another reason why curfews exists. Boys and girls both usually have to be back home at an early hour especially if they're living in a predominant area... I think you get what I mean..

There are many other reasons to why parents give out curfews. And should a child finally be free from the curfew coz he or she is out to college and goes wild.. Well, mentally speaking, it's called freedom.. But in truth, the child just wants to get his or her rebelliousness out of his or her system.. Psychology.. Hehe!

Till then, signing off.. and no offence intended!

P/S Blake: Don't hafta be an only daughter to get curfews. They're just more likely to get them

posted by Josephine @ 2:35 am  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Previous Post
Archives
When I'm Too Free..
Let's Chat~!
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2006 Pillgrimage .Template by Isnaini Dot Com