Pillgrimage

Life's A Pill - Just Swallow It!

 
About Me

Name: Josephine
Home: Segamat, Johore, Malaysia
About Me: One word... WEIRD!
See my complete profile
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
this blog's layout is currently under construction
Bernama Top Story 22/12
Friday, December 22, 2006
Family Of Nine Survive For Two Days On Water From Kettle
By B. Hariharasuthan

SEGAMAT, Dec 22 (Bernama) -- "For two days, me and my family, all nine of us, survived by only drinking water from a kettle and I thought we were going to die...only God knows our ordeal."

This was the picture that S. Ramachandran, 45, from Kampung Abdullah could sketch recounting his experience after witnessing the worst flood ever occurred in Segamat, Johor in three decades.

Ramachandran, an odd job worker told Bernama that he was watching television with his family on Tuesday night when he suddenly felt chilly on his feet.

"I was shocked to see water entering my house and the water level rose so fast. It was about one metre deep and the worse part was when the lights went out. Imagine yourself surviving from flood in the dark."

"I could only hear my sons and daughters screaming for help and they held me tightly. The only thing I could grab was a kettle with water which saved us from thirst," he said, with tears streaming down his cheeks, when relating the ordeal to Bernama at the relief centre in Sekolah Jenis Kebangsaan Cina Seg Hwa, here today. He said his family managed to climb up to the upper floor of his double-storey house and smashed the windows before asking for help.

"My children were crying for food, and many other families also faced the same problem. The rescue team reached here very late and there were only few boats used to ferry the victims."

Ramachandran claimed some rescue workers also asked for money from flood victims.

Kampung Abdullah is one of the many settlements in Segamat badly affected by floods. About 10,000 people from that area have been evacuated to relief centres.

Meanwhile Mohamad Irwan Abdullah, 36, said he almost lost his eight-month old baby to the flood.

Irwan said he was having dinner when the flood water began to rise swiftly while his son, Mohamad Ikmal was playing with his mother (Irwan's wife) at the hall. "It was dark because electricity supply was disconnected. I couldn't see a thing. I heard my wife screaming from the hall, saying that our baby had been swept away by flood water, which was already up to my waist.

"Suddenly I heard my son crying. I lighted my lighter and was shocked to see my son floating in the water. I grabbed him and ran to a safe place with my wife. I am still traumatised with that incident," he said when met at a relief centre here.

State Assemblyman for Gementah, Dr.Lee Hong Tee told Bernama water rationing had been imposed.

"We have to wait for army trucks to bring water supply. But the supply is very limited and I am afraid the difficulties in providing water supply may bring about sanitation problems. We hope to overcome the problem soon."

"Medical teams have been placed at these relief centres and food supplies are pouring in. Although the accommodation provided here is not that comfortable, but we are trying to give the best to the victims," he added.

-- BERNAMA



Pictures taken from: http://www.nst.com.my/
posted by Josephine @ 12:30 pm  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Previous Post
Archives
When I'm Too Free..
Let's Chat~!
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2006 Pillgrimage .Template by Isnaini Dot Com