Pillgrimage

Life's A Pill - Just Swallow It!

 
About Me

Name: Josephine
Home: Segamat, Johore, Malaysia
About Me: One word... WEIRD!
See my complete profile
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
this blog's layout is currently under construction
IMU Health Screening
Saturday, July 28, 2007
IMU has this "adopted" orang asli village called Kampung Tekir in the interiors of Labu, Negeri Sembilan. So anyways, today a free health screening was carried out at Kampung Tekir from 9am to 6pm and I had the privilege of joining in this wonderful event!

As usual, camwhoring session~!! Done while waiting for our transport into Kampung Tekir.. This time didn't take much pics coz Tek Jee forgot to charge his camera battery!! And he used up all his remaining battery power taking blur pics of palm trees!!

Sab, me (holding the lucky draw box and everytime someone passed by, they'd ask what's in the box and open the lid) and Tek Jee at a "pick-up point" in Labu..

The supposedly "ganas" pose... Tek Jee can never be a bad boy no matter how hard he tries lol!

Close-up of Jee's single strand of overgrown "goatee"

Sab trying to tie Jee's strand of chin hair

Our transportation into the village (which btw, is in the middle of a jungle!!)

Express Mesra a.k.a A tractor pulling a crate-looking-trailer-thingy and very very sloooow~~~!!

Jeep... Sits 4 at the back.. But Tek Jee, Sab, Joo Ee, Chern Wuay, Benjamin, Hou Juin and I managed to squeeze in.. All because we were the last ones at the "pick-up" point! (It was our fault.. we didn't wanna get onto the tractor thingy lol)

CW, Ben and HJ stood up while the rest of us sat.. Uncomfortably, I might add!! But it was an enjoyable ride coz the road (red earth) was bumpy so it was really trilling! HJ got whacked in the face by palm tree leaves about five times lol! And everytime there was a tree, everyone would shout "down! down! down!!" Funnie~! Tried uploading a short clip from the ride but failed... maybe some other time..

The residents of Kampung Tekir are generally in bad shape.. They have pretty bad hygiene coz they don't have water supply at their houses. The only place with water is the community hall (I think).. Most of the adults have pityriasis and their skins were all flaky and peeling off. Some had erythroderma and one woman came in with a really bad case of psoriasis. Her skin was pulled back so tight, her upper jaw was sticking out of her very small mouth and she had nary any fat on her! And most of them had head lice!!

The kids were in pretty bad shape too.. They had yellowish hair and that's a sign of malnourishment.. Like the adults, they also have skin problems. And it's very likely their parents don't teach them proper mannerism and stuff like that. Kids there run freely, without a care in the world and even piss in the open!! (Yeah, Sab and I saw that! LOL) They litterally swing in trees and run around barefooted! Oh, and btw.. I saw a woman breastfeeding her kid in the open!!

Speaking of being barefooted... There was a football match between IMU and the orang asli of Kampung Tekir. I didn't see what happened coz I was busy minding the registration and BMI booth but I wish I had witnessed it! Apart from IMU losing to them 8 - 2, Kugan stepped on a pile of COW DUNG.................. BAREFOOTED!! *Faint and LOL*

At the end of the day I had a "tail".. Two orang asli kids followed me all around and it was really cute! LOL! They even squat down when I squatted down! CUTE ARRR!! I think Tek Jee was jealous hahaha! Chee Wing gave them both a toy each. Really nice of him to do so. IMU also gave them and all the other kids (and big breasted teenaged girls who thinks they are still kids lol) presents! All the kids were so excited, seeing them was just.. satisfying..

I guess that's all there is to say.. It really was a memorable day~! And I'm glad I went coz not only did I get to serve the community and do some charity, but I also managed to make new friends and learn loads of new stuff!! YAY!!

Labels:

posted by Josephine @ 9:44 pm  
1 Comments:
  • At 10:30 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    I don't care!!!! I'm coming to whatever Kampung you guys are going next!!! and the white I insist on the white T shirt too.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Previous Post
Archives
When I'm Too Free..
Let's Chat~!
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER

© 2006 Pillgrimage .Template by Isnaini Dot Com